For this week, I went back to a much more human design. I found a face I liked more and really worked on trying to get a fleshy, insect humanoid that had that "fit and flow" and just... worked. It's a weird, kinda invisible thing sometimes. If it doesn't work, it's obvious, something stands out or doesn't feel right. When it works, your brain should just accept it. I didn't finish this drawing entirely. I kinda stopped at the knee but at this point I knew where I was going with this guy. I also worked up a few hand and feet design ideas but never completely fleshed them out. I might have been a little impatient to jump into Zbrush, but I also really felt like I knew what I wanted out of this guy at this point. If I were handing the design off to someone else to model, I definitely would have put in the work to give them everything they needed, but at this point, this guy is pretty solidly in my head.
For this week we were very limited with the tools we could use. Zspheres, create an adaptive skin, then, using only the move brush, get as far along as we could without subdividing the model. I think the number one piece of advice everyone gets when they start learning Zbrush is "Stay as low poly as possible, for as long as possible."
After this class, I went back to the model at this same subdivision level and kept working with the move tool. After seeing other students' work and Jerad's demo, I knew I could get more out of this level of polys. As I'm writing this, I've moved on to the next step (going up one subdivision level and working with limited brushes) and I'm glad I went back to the lowest level and continued to work on it.
This catches me up with where I am in the class now. Next update will be sometime next week.